Welcome to My Blog

Thank you for coming to my blog site. This is where I like to put helpful information for stained glass enthusiast. I have been doing stained glass most of my life and have learned from many people as well as developed some of my own tricks. I also design patterns that I have on my Website . Hope you enjoy! Sonya

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Why is stained glass so expensive?

In a word, metals. It takes metals to create the colors in stained glass.
Metals are responsible for all those wonderful colors. Below is a simple list of what metals make which colors and their relative prices to determine the cost of glass. The going rate of metals change constantly but you can get the idea of why certain colors are more expensive than others.
Cadmium Sulfide – ($1.00/lb) – makes yellow glass
Gold Chloride – ($1,193/ oz) – makes cranberry glass
Cobalt Oxide – ($13.74/ lb) – makes blue glass
Manganese Dioxide – ($1.03/ lb) – makes purple glass
Nickel Oxide – ($6.24/ lb) – makes violet glass
Sulfur – ($1.50/ lb) – makes amber glass
Chromic Oxide – ($1.22/ lb) – makes emerald green glass
Uranium Oxide – ($38.25/ lb) – makes red glass
Iron Oxide – ($.04/ lb) – makes green and brown glass
Selenium Oxide – ($3.82/ lb) – makes red glass
Antimony Oxide – ($4.30/ lb) – makes white glass
The metals below are also added to make other variations of colors:
Copper – ($2.89/ lb) – blue, green and red glass
Tin – ($7.35/ lb) – white
Lead – ($.97/ lb) – yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment