Welcome to My Blog

Thank you for coming to my blog site. This is where I like to put helpful information for stained glass enthusiast. I have been doing stained glass most of my life and have learned from many people as well as developed some of my own tricks. I also design patterns that I have on my Website . Hope you enjoy! Sonya

Friday, June 12, 2015

How to use Dichroic in your Stained Glass Patterns

I feel that dichroic is a very underutilized glass in the stained glass world. It comes in a wondrous variety of colors and textures.  Those of us that have been doing fused glass and bead making have been using it for some time but did you know that you can use it in everyday patterns as well?
“But Sonya, dichro is too expensive to use in large amounts!” I say, you don’t have to use it in large amounts (although I have seen amazing pieces in all dichro). Use it in your patterns sparingly and strategically. How about using it the light in the lighthouse. What about flower centers. Or even use it as an abstract focal point.
 
The amazing thing about dichroic is its unique ability to change extreme colors based on the lighting. Dichro on clear with no texture can be two completely different colors from day to night. Clear Dichro will change colors based on the amount of light transmitted (backlit) through the glass and the light reflected off of it. What was yellow in the daylight will be blue with no transmitted light. Dichro on clear with texture can show you all those colors at once plus be drastically different in low light. Dichro has a third option that other glass doesn’t have, patterns. From lava to lightning bolts there is a dichro out there for all of your imaginings.
So you’re done cutting out your pieces for your stained glass pattern what do you do with the scrap dichro? You can still use it to fuse and/or mosaic with the leftover pieces. If you are plan to fuse with it later, make sure you watch your COE when picking out colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment